Planning Act 2016
30th of June 2017
On Monday 3 July 2017, the Planning Act 2016 (the Act) comes into effect. This brings about a series of changes to the planning and development assessment system. Council officers have been busily preparing for this change and are ready to process development applications as they are lodged under the new system.
There are a few key points to be aware of for those with existing development applications and approvals, and for those wishing to lodge a development application after 3 July.
- Existing Applications: Existing development applications currently being processed by Council are not subject to any change and will continue to be processed under the Sustainable Planning Act 2009 and associated regulations and policies. These applications will continue to be processed without any change to the assessment process.
- Ripley Valley: Applications in the Ripley Valley Priority Development Area are unchanged and will continue to be processed under the Economic Development Act 2012.
- New Rules: We have adjusted our systems and processes to reflect the Act and the Development Assessment Rules from 3 July. It is important that you familiarise yourself with Part 3 of the Act and the Development Assessment Rules as there are many procedural and language changes.
- Application Forms and Templates: For applications lodged under to the new Act, you will notice changes to all of our templates and systems. Council has produced application forms that are to be submitted with your development applications. The Council forms complement the forms produced by the Department of Infrastructure, Local Government and Planning. The completion of the Council forms in addition to the State forms will enable Council to efficiently lodge and assess your development application. These will be available on the Ipswich planning portal (www.ipswichplanning.com.au) on 3 July 2017.
- Survey Plans: Importantly, Council has a new application form that must be lodged with any applications under the Planning Act 2016 for them to be properly made. Applications forms produced under the Sustainable Planning Act 2016 cannot be accepted.
- Planning Scheme: There are no changes to the Ipswich Planning Scheme which are required for continued assessment of Development Applications under the new Act. However, Council will be preparing a new Planning Scheme in compliance with the Act and the associated Ministers Guidelines and Rules.
We encourage consultants and developers to seek more information on the new Act and Regulation as it has a number of significant changes to the development assessment system. We also encourage developers to continue to work with us during transition into the new Act. By continuing to work together we can make the transition as easy as possible.
For more information on the assessment process go to: http://www.dilgp.qld.gov.au/resources/planning/better-planning/da-process-fact-sheet.pdf and http://www.dilgp.qld.gov.au/resources/planning/better-planning/da-rules.pdf
For information on new development categories go to: http://www.dilgp.qld.gov.au/resources/planning/better-planning/new-categories-of-development-fact-sheet.pdf
If you are unsure about how to lodge a development application from Monday 3 July 2017, please contact our staff and they will be able to assist (3810 6666, email email@example.com).